Friday, November 7, 2014

A good deed rewarded

A bit longer than my usual one-liners. But Denise Milani is a goddess and my first caption featuring her deserves it!

There must have been a dozen of us on the observation deck, and from where we stood, we could clearly see the school bus teetering on the edge of the suspension bridge, moments from falling two hundred feet to the harbor below. It was late afternoon, and there was no doubt that it was full of children at that hour.

"I wish I could do something," one middle aged tourist from Texas said. 

"If only I could help," a young security guard said.

An elderly woman with a Mediterranean accent spoke up. "Which among you would give your life to save those children?"

There was an awkward silence as people looked away from the imperiled bus and stared at their feet shuffling on the deck. I couldn't let myself think that way. There were kids on that bus who had bright futures among them. What was one life against so many?

"I'd do it," I said. A smile cracked the old woman's wrinkled face, and she touched me on the back of the hand. Immediately I felt dizzy and disoriented. My body felt a sudden surge of pain as my bones shifted beneath my skin. My abdomen felt like it was on fire as organs rearranged myself as my organs...my organ! My penis seemed to be retracting, pulling itself inward to be replaced by feminine folds.

It was then I realized that the pain was no longer bothering me. It had not gone away, but my new feminine body was much tougher than my old one had been. Cascades of thick black hair fell from my head as I watched two enormous breasts push out from my chest. The whole transformation probably took less than three seconds, but in my memory those moments of change slow down into a crawl. Then there was a flash, and my black T-shirt and jeans were gone, replaced by the outfit that now marks me as Miracle Woman.

The others just stared at me. The Texan found his voice first. "He's...she's some kind of superhero!"

"Indeed you are," the old woman said. "Now go save those children."

There's no description of the sensation of flight that would have made sense to my old self, so I'll spare you my lame efforts. Nor could I tell you how it felt to catch a falling school bus in mid air and carry it gently back to the shore. But I knew I had made the right choice. Thirty-six kids and their driver would live because of me with nothing worse than a few minor cuts and bruises. There's no going back to my old body, but there's so many people to help that I've never seriously considered it.

But hey, don't think my life is nothing but altruism. With infinite endurance, I can party all night after saving people all day. Miracle Woman has proven to be remarkably popular among the ladies, and I must have come along at the right time, for the world seems ready to accept that their only superhero prefers the company of other women. I can't even count the Hollywood A-listers who have sought me out and acted like giggling fangirls...

No comments:

Post a Comment