Sunday, November 6, 2016

Empowerment, Part III

The next couple of days were exciting to me as I got to meet the heroes I had idolized my whole life.  Given the circumstances, I suppose I was greeted warmly, and I appreciated the teams efforts. I kept reminding myself that they had lost a friend and teammate and tried to act accordingly. It couldn't be easy having a living reminder of Kara in their midst.  Not all of the League were supportive, though. Batman kept watching me like I was going to shoplift official office supplies, and Barry...the Flash...tried to cop a feel of my bosom.  Apparently I'm faster than the old Power Girl as well, and I was able to clock Barry to the point where the  immature little creep will think twice before violating me again.

The work they had me do was kind of lame. A lot of testing and workouts both in the gym and in the field.  "Observation" was as bad as it sounds like. I tagged along on missions to a refinery fire, a terrorist hostage situation, and  the rescue of a disabled submarine. In each instance, I was dying to show the team what I could do, but they were pretty clear that I had to sit on my thumbs until I got a hand of procedure and teamwork.  Batman made sure he was on each mission I observed, just to make sure I didn't go berserk and eat a bus full of school children.

At night, I pretty much kept to myself. The team leaders thought it would be a bad idea for me to go out in public, and they especially warned me against trying to contact old friends and family. So,after work, I just sat in my room, watched TV, and masturbated. Please.Tell me you wouldn't.  It's a good thing the walls here are soundproof,because apparently, I'm quite a screamer, and I think I would have blown the windows out of a normal house.  I don't know that I'll be ready to begin dating anytime soon (pretty sure I'm a lesbian,though I must admit to being confused. Let's just called me 'gender fluid' at the moment), but it's nice to know that I can fulfull my own needs. It's good to have a hobby, I always said..

At last I was made a probationary member of the team. That's my official photo on the right. They're trying to pass me off as a reincarnation of the original Power Girl, pretending it's a newly discovered power of Kryptonians. Pretty clever. Now bad guys are going to think twice about trying to kill Supes or Supergirl or me if we just come back stronger than before.  The downside is, I'm to be publicly addressed as Kara by the other members of the team. My name was all I had left of my old life, and now I gave that up. It made things even weirder between me and the other team members. I'm still a few weeks away from solo missions (and I have to be accompanied by at least two other team members if I want to leave team bases for at least another two months).  When I stopped a school shooter in his tracks, it was one of the proudest moments of my life. I was devastated that I got there only after the violence started. Two kids had died, and a third will never walk again, but the police said the carnage would have been a lot worse if I hadn't shown up.  I'm almost ashamed to admit how much fun it was. The shooter, some poor kid with some serious psychoses, unloaded a clip from an assault rifle into me. I still remember the way my tits shook with the impact,and my amazement at how little gunshots hurt me. My uniform didn't even tear! I'll have to ask Clark Superman about that one.

My partners on that mission were Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. Afterwards, Hal praised the work I did but he also admonished me for jumping the gun and failing to use teamwork. I have to admit that I was feel pretty full of myself, and I said that it didn't really matter, since I was more than powerful enough to deal with the issue on my own. That actually set Diana off and she called me a weak-ass substitute for the original Kara. Well, from what I understand, the original Kara wasn't much of a team player, and I said so. Bog mistake. Diana then goes and pulls rank, takes me off missions, and dresses me down about respect, teamwork, and tradition. At that point I broke down and cried. As much as I would like to blame Krytponian hormones for my little display, I think I would have done the same even in my old body, I really did begin to see where I let the team down, and she had a point that if there were hidden threats, I might have put people's lives in danger. Well, once I started bawling, everyone felt awkward. Hal went and got beers, and we had a long talk well into the night.  

I let it all out: the way I missed my friends and family, the sense I had that I wasn't born to be a superhero, the fear that I was living another person's life for them. Hal and Diana didn't really have any answers for me, but they listened, and they reassured me that part of being a superhero was feeling like shit almost all of the time. Great. They should put that on the recruiting brochure. After a while, things got downright friendly.  Diana and I even arm-wrestled (the photo shows me toying with her, right before I nearly tore her arm of. In fun, of course). After a while I went back to my room and passed out, not really feeling any better, but at least accepting of the rottenness I had kept buried.  I had always thought that superpowers would make a person less lonely and anxious and insecure. Turns out they had quite the opposite effect.




No comments:

Post a Comment