Monday, February 23, 2015

Last man standing


I worked furiously after the DNA virus escaped containment. I had to find an antidote, or humanity as we knew it would be doomed. We had proved it was possible to reshape a person's physical form and psychological profile by rebuilding our genes. Using a base sequence from our lab assistant Michiko, we had turned a lab chimp into her exact duplicate, right down to her memories and personality quirks. Who knew that she was such a narcissist? She snuck a sample out of the lab and mutated it into a highly contagious virus. Within hours, the campus was swarming with Michikos. Within three days, the entire country had been converted. In just over a week, she had done what countless conquerors had failed to do: take over the world.

Sealed in my lab, I cobbled together a vaccine. There was only one way to test it, and I stepped out of the lab. Within minutes I was captured and brought to the gym. One of the Michikos addressed me while the others danced around, filling the gym with the virus.

"We congratulate you on your resourcefulness," she said. "But we both know how this is going to end. Our DNA is constantly refreshing us, keeping us as healthy twenty-one year olds forever, while you will grow old and die. No matter what you do, we will win. We know you have the knowledge to neutralize your vaccine. Why don't you do so and join us?"

I tried to resist, but all of the Michikos seemed so happy. Was it worth it to hold out, when all of humanity (and, presumably, the great apes) had been taken over by a single mass mind? Would anyone really care about my futile struggle? Despite myself, I found myself telling Michiko how to reverse the vaccine that protected me.

Remember that March is Request Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment